Sunday, February 15, 2009

IT'S A GIRL!!!

I have 3 posts I want to do and I was going to do them all at once, but I have a toddler and a new born, so if I can get one done every day or so, it's pretty good. So here's the first one....

Here she is! Abigail Elisabeth! This is her birth announcement. She is one day old in these pictures. Yes, they were taken by Kate once again. Didn't she do a great job?!

Well, as most of you know I did it natural this time. No Epidural, no drugs of any kind! And let me just say this... ask my mom, ask my husband, I have a very low pain tolorance. So if I can do it, anyone can do it! So how did I do it? I prepared myself. After my horrible birth experience with my son (due to the Epidural) I decided I wanted to go natural. And I wanted to do it, to make sure my baby came out quickly and healthy. So when I told my mom I was considering going natural, she jumped all over that! She was so excited and my biggest supporter. She immediatly bought me that Lamaze book and Isaac and I signed up for a Lamaze class. The book gave me the knowledge and confidence I needed to decide for sure that I would do it. The class taught Isaac and I techniques, laboring positions and breathing and relaxation techniques in order to cope with the early labor contaractions. So we felt ready.

So here's the story.... By Valentine's day I was sick and tired of being pregnant. And I honestly thought I would have had the baby by then. Because I was still pregnant, we decided to go to the Valentine activity (and dance) that night. And I decided to dance my little feet off. Well it worked! At 2:30 am then next morning I woke up with contractions. Isaac and I stayed in bed for another hour and he helped me through each contraction. They were about 8 - 10 minutes apart. After that I started changing positons to better cope and Isaac continued to help be breath though each contraction. They really weren't that bad especially with the breathing and finding a comfortable postion. I ate when I was hungry and went to the bathroom when I felt I needed to. It was nice to stay home for most of my Laboring. By 7 am they were getting closer together so we called my Mom, my mother-in-law and the hospital to let everyone know it was time. Isaac and I got ready, packed up the car, ate breakfast and left the house at around 9 am. By then the contractions were 3 -5 minutes apart and getting more intense. We got to the hospital and I was praying and hoping to at least be at a 5 in dialation. When they checked me and said I was at an 8!, I started to cry. Tears of joy. I couldn't believe I had labored at home, done all the work just Isaac and I and had gotten to and 8!!! It was amazing.

Then I waited for my Nurse midwife to get there and by the time she got there, I was still at an 8. She said breaking my water would make everything happen real quick, so we went for it. The funny part was after she broke my water I stalled out for another hour. But it ended up being a blessing in disguise, the baby had had a bowel movent and there was merconia in the water. So the hour I stalled out ended up being just enough time to flush out the merconia.

Because I had stalled out, my nurse midwife left to go check on another lady that was at another hospital and was ready to deliver. But after that hour, my body decided to start dialating again, and then I hit the transition stage of Labor. All I can say is... HOLY CRAP! It was the most intense pain and pressure I have ever felt in my life. But it happened so FAST, that I can honestly say it was worth it. It took about 20 minutes to get to where it was time to start pushing. When I felt like pushing, they said... "don't push, no one is here to deliver the baby!" I said... " Sorry, I can't help it!" Well, because my nurse midwife was hung up, they called the Dr. on call... Dr. Mark Saunders (He is the one who delived Benjamin) coinsedently. He got there just in time and my Nurse midwife walked in 2 minutes after him. But because he was all suited up he decided to just do it. He said push and 3 contractions later (about 15 minutes) she was out!

All I can say is that I was in shock! Isaac kept saying "you did it! You did it!" I couldn't believe I actually did it! It was the most amazing thing I have ever done. The one word I can use to describe it is... EMPOWERING. It was so empowering to know that I had done with my body what Heavenly Father had designed it to do.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not anti-Epidural. For first time mom's, Labor can be very long and very exahsting. But to them I say, get prepared and Labor natually for as long as possible before getting it. It will go so much better if you do. And I truly believe the reason so many babies are born swollen, cone-headed and end up in Special care or worse Intensive Care, is because the Labor progresses too slow and they get stuck in the birth canal for too long and this, because of those dang Epidurals. You can't move around to help your baby descend down, you can't feel to push the baby out quickly, it's just not worth it (in my opinion). But the problem is Society and Hollywood has gotten us so scared of childbirth, that we think we have to have drugs. But childbirth has been going on for thousands of years and most women can do it naturally and should. But again, this is my opinion. But I think every women should try it at least once (if they can). Well there it is, that is my Labor story. It was a great experience.

At the Valentine Dance the night before


In between contractions I paused and smiled for the camera! Funny huh?

After I had the baby I paused again and smiled for the camera

The Dr. pulling the baby out

Setting her on me for the toweling off

Getting cleaned up after cutting the cord. Isn't she perfect?

Closer up

In my arms at last!

Proud grandma Rosa!

And grandpa Gary came in afterward to see her as well

My amazing Labor and Delivery Nurse Crystal (left) and the other girl was an intern. She was great too. They were dropping me off in Post Partum an hour or so after the delivery.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

liz!! she's beautiful!! congratulations. great delivery story!! i'm proud of you ;-)

Cristina said...

Liz, me alegra saber que te fue tan bien con este parto, pues recuerdo todo lo que sufriste con el primero. Yo tuve que hacerlo sin epidural con Sofia pero porque los anestesiologos estaban ocupados y aunque el dolor fue HORRIBLE, mi parto fue super rapido y sin problemas, tienes razon en todo lo que dices, uno tiene la capacidad de hacerlo sin epidural pero se requiere de mucha valentia verdad? Felicitaciones y que linda bebe y el nombre me gusta mucho!

Sarah Ragatz said...

Wow! That was perhaps the best labor story I've ever heard. (Not that I've heard a ton) I haven't ever wanted to consider giving birth without an epidural but your experience almost makes me consider it. My holdback is that I had an epidural with Emmalynne and my labor went fine. Only time will tell... Great job to you!! That's awesome.

Jenn said...

Liz, your story made me cry! I have been so scared to even think about going natural, but we too have had struggles from meds and all the stuff the Dr's say is "perfectly safe"! I am not pregnant, nor am I considering it, yet...but you've given me the courage to seriously consider going natural! Way to go!!

Yamile said...

Yes, birth can be a very powerful and healing experience. It's not always painful, and women bodies (with exceptions of course) were made to do it. Thanks for sharing your story!