Monday, July 30, 2012

Goodbye Dad

My Dad's funeral was on Saturday.  I was asked to speak at his funeral and was a little hesitant to do it, but I was very pleased with what I said.  For the sake of remembering, I would like to repeat some of it here in my Blog.
First, I thanked Magdalena, for the wonderful, kind, caring, patient woman that she is and I give her all the credit for repairing my relationship with my Dad, she was the one who pushed him and I to see each other more and to simply try.  It was because of her I had any relationship with my Dad.
Next I talked about how, although my Dad did a lot of things wrong, there were a few things he did that was really right.  First he and my mother raised us in the Gospel of Jesus Christ and in this church.  What a blessing!  Everything good in my life is because I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  I love this Gospel and the happiness it brings.  The other thing that I admire about him was the example he gave of sharing the Gospel.  He was NEVER afraid or even hesitated to share the gospel with everyone around him.  My Dad, loved to talk.  Getting him to stop talking was the hard part!  But he always talked about the Gospel, and there is no doubt that he planted a lot of seeds!  Also, his love for Genealogy was very admirable!  I hope someday I will be as dedicated to Genealogy as he was.  And the last thing that my Dad did that was very right, was Family Time and Family outings.  He loved the National Parks, road trips, and seeing and doing new things and going and seeing new places.  He created so many beautiful, fun, childhood memories by taking us to so many places as kids.  And for that I thank him.  And he instilled in my a love for family time, and family vacations, and family outings.  I remember going to Yosemity, Yellowstone, the Redwood National forrest, the Grand Canyon, Carlsbad Caverns, Disneyland, 6 Flags Great America, the Monterry Bay Aquarium, I remember camping in the high Sierra's, and all the National Parks in Southern Utah.  And my favorite vacation was when we took a road trip all the way down the Coast to the tip of Baja California, then we took a ferry to Mazatlan, and drove across Mexico to stay with my Grandparents for a month, and then we drove up the East Coast of Mexico, and back home.  We camped on the beach and ate fresh seafood, we swam in the ocean, we saw the ruins in Mexico, and had the summer of our lives!  Now that I think of it, a 2 month vacation, means my Dad was probably un-employed at the time, but as kids, we didn't even think about that, we just had so much fun!  and it was because of my Dad and his love of going, and doing, and seeing.
Finally I bore my testimony of the Restored Gospel, because I know that is what my Dad would have wanted me to do.  I felt the Spirit and I know that allthough he made a lot of bad choices in this life, I know it is not my place to judge and the Savoir in his Mercy and love knows the heart of my Dad and he will judge my Dad and he loves my Dad and I know I will see him again!

Below are some pictures of my Dad, and the funeral.  Sorry so many are sideways.  They were turned the right way on my computer but when they uploaded to the Blog, for some reason they went back sideways and I can't fix them. So just turn you head. :P
My Dad with his 5 Grandkids back in Feb.
About a week before his passing with Tony Carzares
As you can see he deteriorated a lot in those last few months.  I love this picture because Tony is one of my Dad's oldest and most faithful friends.  Tony has always been there for my Dad and was never bothered by my Dad's unique personality.  When he heard about my Dad's condition he flew out immediately to see him.  Just in time too.
Dad's Casket at the "viewing" right before the funeral
The Pallbearers putting the casket in the hurse

Pallbearers carrying casket to grave site




Starting to lower the casket


In his final resting place


He is burried at Pleasant Green Cemetery in Magna.  It's funny, because there is nothing green about this cemetery!
But it did have a great view!


Tossing Daisies into grave, the kids also blew kisses and said, "Bye Grandpa!"  It was really sweet
Fred and Pete wanted to help shovel some dirt on top.

My Step-Mom Magdalena, her brother Pedro & her parents
On a good note, one nice part about the Funeral is that I got to see 3 of my 4 Aunties!  They are my Dad's sister's and like Sister's they loved my Dad despite all his flaws.  I just love these ladys!  They stayed with me for the weekend after the funeral.  We went to church, had a yummy Carne Asada dinner, and played with the kids in the back yard.  It was really fun having them.
Aunt Judy and her son, my cousin Don
My Dad's Twin Sister Michele
My Aunties took these pictures of the Kids playing on the swing set
Fun on the Swing Set
  
Isabel loves swinging!



My Aunties, Monday morning right before they left

No comments: