Monday, November 1, 2010

The Windows of Heaven

I feel it fitting, this first day of November to talk about my Blessings and how grateful I feel to be so blessed! Last month, Isaac convinced me that we needed to increase our Fast offerings. This was really hard for me because I felt like we were already very generous in our Fast offerings. But I told my husband, back when we were first married, that when it came to spiritual things I would always support him. (I think maybe I jinks myself and that is why is in the Bishopric ;), no.. but really we are happy to serve). Anyway, so we decided to increase it significantly. We almost doubled it! It was really intense for me. I thought, how are we going to do this? But I took a leap of Faith and followed my husband. And I am soooo grateful to be married to someone who is so spiritually minded.

There is a scripture that says, "Bring ye all the tithes [and offerings] into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you our a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it." Malachi 3:10. I can testify to you all that this scripture has never been more true in my life than it is right now! About a week ago, I started counting my blessings and I was overwhelmed with how many we have. Especially, in this case, financially. Sure, we are far from where we want to be. But for now, we are great! Shortly after we doubled our fast offering, the Lord truly opened the windows of heaven and I feel like we are being drowned in blessings! It's wonderful. Just to give a few examples, we were recently given an opportunity to re-finance our home. It is going to free up quite a chunk of $$ each month. Then Isaac was told that he must work 10 hours of overtime each week until the end of the year. Sure it will be hard on him, but it really is a blessing. And then my couponing has really taken off! I am building my food storage and saving money like I never dreamed possible. Just look at what I got last week! I bought $25 dollars worth of Halloween Candy for $3 and spent $5 on 4 packs of diapers! Amazing right?!

There are many more blessings but after realizing this, it literally brought me to tears and I called Isaac at work and thanked him for making me trust him on increasing our Fast offering so that the Lord could "open the windows of heaven and pour out blessings on us!" And the greatest blessing of all is that this experience has strengthened my testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I want you all to know, that I KNOW that this is Christ's church on the earth today and it is guided by a living Prophet and if we are obedient to his commandments he will bless us! He wants to bless us! But we must do our part or he cannot bless us, because he is a just God. And I am so grateful for so many of these small experiences throughout my life that has built my testimony and I can say that I KNOW.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Liz, I want to comment on all your fabulous posts, but I need to get to sleep! :D

First though - thank you for this post. What a great testimony! I love seeing the Gospel in action...we really are so blessed to have it in our lives.

Next, I'm sorry about your grandma, but how exciting that she got to go home to her family! What a beautiful tribute!

And last - I love all the fun family pictures! Your kids are so cute! Love them! I hope you're still doing great! Miss you!