Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Clarification

A very good friend of mine brought something to my attention regarding my labor story that I shared in my post titled "It's a Girl!" She expressed concern that perhaps other women reading my story might feel bad or less of a women or less of a mom if they choose not to go natural. I didn't even think that my story would ever make someone feel that way and if it did then I sincerly apologize. That was never my intention to make someone feel that way.


I know natural child birth is not for everyone, let me be the first to admit that if I had had a good 1st labor I would have NEVER considered natural child birth. Prior to my horrible 1st experience this was me....





Anyway, my purpose was to inspire 3 kinds of women...

1. the women who wants to try natural child birth but might be a little scared to

2. the women who doesn't want medical intervention because she is afraid of the risks

3. the women who (like me) had a horrible experience due to previous medical intervention and now wants to try something different.


To those women out there who have had great experiences with Epidurals and choose to continue to use them... I say great! If you can have a wonderful birth with no pain... that is awesome! Truly, I envy those women.


And to first time moms, as I said before.... go natural for as long as possible and then yes... I think you should get an epidural. Because the first time is usually very long and very exausting but don't make the mistake I did and get it too soon. Wait to you are at least to a 5. Well, I hope this clarifys a bit. Good luck to all you Mamas out there!

5 comments:

Elizabeth & Roberto said...

That's awesome!! that movie is so funny! It was the opposite with me. I was going for a natural B and I had complications but at the end western medicine hahaha (an epidural) save me from a C-section! But it was a beautiful childbirth and a good experience. You just got to be prepare and do what's best for baby n mom :)

Yamile said...

Don't feel bad about having had such a wonderful natural birth! Sometimes I post how I love to still be breastfeeding my 2 1/2 year old, and I do it with no intention of offending anyone.
Women have the freedom to choose to give birth however they want, and if you feel empowerment for YOUR decision, you don't need to apologize!
That's my opinion though. I also had a HORRIBLE experience with my first baby was born at a hospital. My 2nd was at the hospital w/epi also, but for my other two I chose to give birth at home. Their births healed me from the trauma I suffered w/#1, and they gavve me a power and confidence I didn't know I had.
Congratulations on your baby girl, and thanks for sharing your story!
I'm going to link your blog from mine if you don't mind; that way I can keep in touch with you easier.
Take care!

Yadira said...

Liz just wanted to let you know that your experience has inspired me! I had a fast and easy labor w/epidural with Aaron as you already know, on the other hand I had a super fast labor with Samantha so the epidural only took effect for the last 20 minutes right before she was born and for the following 4 to 5 hours after she was born. Those after labor hours were horrible, my temperature went down and they couldn't do anything to bring it back to normal and I was feeling so bad that I could not enjoyed my little girl during that time I honestly thought I was dying. After hearing what you went through with Abigail I've decided that I want to try to go natural with our next baby. I may not be able to though! Thanks for sharing your brave and beautiful experience.
Also I have recently started a blog for our family. Here is the link familiabudd.blogspot.com I have added yours to my list of friends!!

.. said...

Hey Liz! I would love to get together with you. My husband is always at school right now so I have a lot of spare time on my hands. :) Thanks for checking our blog, I too follow yours. Curious- do you currently go walking or want to? I'm interested at night when it warms up, but my neighbor friend is looking for someone to go with in the morning. I thought of you since we live pretty close to each other. Let me know!

Marie said...

Yamile took the words right out of my mouth! :)