Monday, September 14, 2009

The Big Switch

On Labor Day we painted Ben's new room. Then this past weekend we made the big switch, we set up his new room and his "Big Boy Bed," and expecting the worst, we did his bed time routine and put him down. And he stayed!!! We couldn't believe it! No tantrum, no complaining, no getting up. We were shocked and so happy. Man we have a good kid!.... So we thought. Then at 2 A.M. we are startled awake by a little visitor. Yes, he woke up and came to find us. So we took him back, put him in bed and.... he went back to sleep. Then at 7 AM he came running into our room and exclaimed "Good Morning!" The next night, was the exact same thing. He wakes up in the middle of the night, but before he was confined in a crib, so he would just go back to sleep but now, he can get out of bed and we have to put him back to sleep. Any suggestions on how to keep him in bed?? So then the third night, Sunday night, just when we think we have a perfect child.... he proves us otherwise. Isaac put him to bed and gets out and runs into our room... what?! I guess he just wasn't sleepy last night. So Isaac puts him to bed, again, and again, and again! Benjamin thinks this is a fun game and even starts to mimic daddy's "I'm getting really frustrated" hands on his hips stance. Then daddy crosses his arms, Benjamin crosses his arms. Daddy gets tired of it and turns off all the lights and goes to bed. Benjamin stands by our bed thinking he's won. I finish nursing Abby and put her down in the crib. (Yes, she is finally out of our room! Yea!) Now it's my turn, I put him back to sleep again, and again, and again. Ahhhh! Finally I lock his door. I wasn't sure if it was the right move (I didn't want to tramatize him) but I waited as he cried at the door. But it was totally a fake cry to see if we would come. When we did not come, he realized the "game" was over and ran back to his bed, hopped in and went to sleep. The whole ordeal was about an hour. But now we know what to do. Now I just have to figure out how to keep him in bed when he wakes up in the middle of the night.

So to explain, just a bit, we turned the guest room into his new room, but because we have no where else to put the guest bed, we left it in there and set him up in the awesome little nook that is in the room!

Before

After

His awesome Sports bedding that my mom and I made!
And the cute sports pillows and wall stickers, are from the dollar store!

I also added some pink to the nursery

Pink bows to the crib and the wall stickers say, "once upon a time there was a princess"

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Liz, I made Braden a blanket with that exact same sports material! I had curtains too, and a lampshade I made - I loved it! Too bad he decided that he wanted dinosaurs! :D Love Benjamin's room - and Abigail's is so sweet! Way to go!

Elizabeth & Roberto said...

Hey Liz!! thanks for your comment if I remember correct I said Liz AND Ruth!!! hahaha :) I am thinking about a water birth though.
We just made the switch too and I love her bed I would post pics soon surprisingly she is doing good she stays until 6-7 am and then runs into our bedroom asking for milk!!We haven't figure out that one yet! She is officially daddy's alarm clock! I love your little nook! and the rooms look cute!!

Shannon said...

I love the way you decorated their rooms! They are so cute!

Margaret and Laurel said...

Very cute and darling.